Monday, February 4, 2013

Red- King Crimson

King Crimson- Red (1974)
Rating: 15
"Sundown/dazzling day/Gold through my eyes/But my eyes turned within/Only see"
Best Song: Starless
Worst Song: Fallen Angel


       Christmas morning. I opened up a moderately small present to reveal the 2012 5.1 edition of Larks Tongue's in Aspic and the 2009 5.1 edition of... this. Wow, where do I start? I've never been a fan of King Crimson. I only liked their first album. But then I saw the 5.1 remasters, and I decided to give them a try. I had already heard Larks Tongues in Aspic, and that had scared me half to death. But I had never heard Red.
       So I popped this baby into my DVD player and started it up. Immediately, I was hit by an amazing wall of distortion that was the title track. Everything in the mix was distorted even the bass. There were seemingly billions of Guitars yelling around me, and then there was a cello, and then the song ended. Needless to say, I was blown away, and decided nothing on the album could be better than that wall of noise.
       Sadly, when the next song, "Fallen Angel" came on, I thought it was great, but it really wasn't as good as the last. Then came on an absolutely amazing song called "One More Red Nightmare," This was even better than "Red," and had me wondering what could be better than that. "Providence," was pretty good, but not as good as the last song. It was no question, the weirdest, but I still really liked it.
       Then... "Starless" came on. If you haven't heard that song, drop absolutely everything you're doing and listen to it right now. That has to be one of the top 6 songs that I have ever heard. The pacing is fantastic, and I have absolutely zero complaints about it. It is the greatest heavy prog song of all time.
       Overall, this is an amazing album. Go out and buy it today!



No comments:

Post a Comment