Monday, July 23, 2012

Pink Floyd- A Saucerful of Secrets


A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)- Pink Floyd #2
Rating: 9
Best Song: Set The Controls for The Heart of The Sun
Worst Song: A Saucerful of Secrets      Here we have what is one of the most overrated Floyd albums in the world. While you may think, "Not many people know this album!", what I mean is that among Floyd Fans (Myself included), the majority hold this as one of the best Floyd album, but everytime I hear it, it sounds ok, some good, but not amazing. The best song is the awesome, "Set The Controls For The Heart of The Sun," as it shows Mr. Roger Waters at his early best.
     The opener, "Let There Be More Light" sounds kind of generic, even though I swear I've never heard anything like it. It confuses me to this day. On some days it reminds me of The Doors. Then "Remember A Day," I cannot stand, as I've never been a fan of Richard Wright's vocals, and this is no exception. "Corporal Clegg" comes after "Set", and gets my vote as the second best song, even though it's a bit silly. Then we have the Ambient/Noise/Rock/Space Rock/Exploding/Noodling/SFGERTTHG title track which I don't like AT ALL. It's not one of their better long songs. The next Rick Wright song, "See-Saw" is a break from the Ambient/Noise/Rock/Space Rock/Exploding/Noodling/SFGERTTHG of the last one, so I actually quite like it when listening to the album in its entirety.
     And then we come to the infamous ending track; Yes, it's Syd Barrett's final song with Pink Floyd before he was kicked out of Floyd for drug issues and insanity, "Jugband Blues". Unfortunately, I do not like it as much as other people like it, but there's nothing wrong with it. It almost becomes Ambient/Noise/Rock/Space Rock/Exploding/Noodling/SFGERTTHG, but Barrett had enough sense not to end it the same freaky way they ended Piper
     In the end, this isn't a bad Pink Floyd album, it just isn't a really good one. half the album is good, but the rest is okay to one terrible Ambient/Noise/Rock/Space Rock/Exploding/Noodling/SFGERTTHG.

No comments:

Post a Comment